Engineering Manager- Core Systems Libraries
Who We Are:
The Core Systems Libraries (CSL) team provides key distributed systems libraries used to build reliable and efficient Twitter-scale services. Our job of ensuring the resiliency of Twitter’s core libraries directly impacts the lives of our users and the success of our business. As the engineering manager on our team, you will face some of the most difficult challenges in modern software engineering. The scale at which your systems operate requires producing and using highly-performant algorithms and data structures, and also solving complex problems involving concurrency and distributed systems. You will work on some of the world’s most highly-scaled distributed systems. Our core infrastructure serves billions of requests per second, while meeting stringent availability requirements. You and your engineering team will power the core libraries relied on every day by hundreds of millions of people.
What You’ll Do:
As engineering manager, you will lead the careers of extraordinary software developers. You’ll work with internal customers across engineering at Twitter. You will also interact with the open-source community, maintaining key open-source projects. The libraries owned by the team play a key role in user satisfaction and growth. Millions of existing customers will immediately benefit from this work, and many more new customers will follow. Inside Twitter, we empower hundreds of engineers to build fault-tolerant and efficient services that power Twitter’s infrastructure. Externally, you will empower engineers to do the same via stewardship of our open-source libraries.
- Define and deliver the next generation of scalable services at Twitter
- Build and maintain high-performance, fault-tolerant, and scalable distributed systems
- Diagnose and solve complex distributed systems problems and develop solutions that have a significant impact at Twitter’s massive scale
- Improve the reliability and efficiency of our open-source core libraries (Finatra, Finagle, Twitter Server, Scrooge, and Twitter Util)
- Partner closely with other engineering teams and project managers
Who You Are:
You are passionate about building teams and developing careers. You take satisfaction in redefining the limits of scale and performance. You seek to continually improve through experimentation and measurement. You know how to align personal and business priorities.
Ideally, you have experience with:
- Setting and measuring strategic goals
- Defining a long-term strategic roadmap
- Leading a geographically distributed engineering team
- Distributed systems, performance analysis, and web infrastructure
- Developing and operating large scale distributed systems with high availability
- Development experience on the JVM, including asynchronous I/O, concurrency, and the Java memory model
- A history of open-source contribution and/or stewardship
- Minimum of 2 years in engineering management
- BS, MS, or Ph.D. in computer science or a related field, or equivalent work experience
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Minimal travel required (2-4 weeks per year)
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants: pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Engineering Hiring Process
Once your application is received, a recruiter will reach out pending your qualifications are a match for the role.
If your background is a match, you may have 1-2 technical phone interviews or be given the chance to provide a work sample depending on the role.
If the phone interviews go well or your work sample is strong, the final step includes interviews with 5-6 people held onsite in our office.
We're the People Team @Twitter. We're hiring service, purpose-driven people who are creative and move fast. All things Twitter Careers! #LoveWhereYouWork
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!