Deputy General Counsel, Litigation, Regulatory, & Law Enforcement
Twitter seeks a sophisticated and business savvy attorney to serve as Vice President, Deputy General Counsel, Litigation, Regulatory, & Law Enforcement. The successful candidate will provide strategic legal counsel to Twitter’s executives on a variety of critical business and legal issues including litigation, employment, policy and communications, law enforcement, regulatory matters and trust and safety. The successful candidate will oversee a group of over a dozen high performing lawyers and legal professionals, who make up five teams: Litigation, Employment Legal, Policy Legal, Regulatory and Law Enforcement & Safety. The successful candidate will also partner closely with stakeholders across the business, but particularly in Corporate Communications, Public Policy, Trust and Safety, and Human Resources. A direct report to Twitter’s General Counsel, you and your team will work on many of the most exciting legal issues at Twitter. You will partner in projects and initiatives that influence all aspects of the business driving creative, customer-focused, practical and proactive legal guidance. This is a highly visible role with regular Board interaction. Twitter is a culture where everyone rolls up their sleeves and digs in to work, and this role is no different. You will be a working leader and manager of the team. We are investing in growth of the team over time and are looking for a leader who can develop a best-in-class legal team as well as develop future world class leaders.
- The Deputy General Counsel, Litigation, Regulatory, & Law Enforcement will be located at headquarters in San Francisco, California. Relocation assistance is provided.
- Develop with the team a comprehensive legal strategy and oversee execution for Twitter’s global portfolio of highly complex litigation matters; labor and employment initiatives and matters; Twitter’s law enforcement engagement; regulatory privacy compliance and outreach; and public policy support.
- Serve as a trusted advisor to senior leadership and the Board of Directors on high profile litigation and global policy matters.
- Provide advice and counsel on a variety of issues including First Amendment, Communications Decency Act, and law enforcement matters.
- Collaborate with the Vice President of Communications and Vice President of Public Policy to ensure Twitter’s policies and positions are accurately represented to internal and external stakeholders, government officials, and the public.
- Lead and mentor a team of efficient and business oriented litigators, employment attorneys, law enforcement & safety counsel, and policy counsel.
- Oversee the team as they engage outside counsel relationships, including selecting, budgeting, managing, and evaluating counsel.
- Build strong and long-term relationships of trust and influence with stakeholders around the company.
- Approach matters with a business perspective and a deep understanding of Twitter’s goals when finding solutions.
- Solve problems and drive a culture of evaluating calculated and informed risks, starting from a place of “yes”.
Skills and Experience
- 15+ years of legal experience from both a corporation and law firm
- J.D. from an accredited law school
- Active bar membership in at least one U.S. jurisdiction - preferably California
- A minimum of five years experience managing a team of 10 or more lawyers
- Expertise in two or more of the following: First Amendment Law, Communications Decency Act, privacy, consumer protection laws, complex contractual disputes, government investigations, public policy, and/or large scale global litigation.
- Experience working at a publicly traded $1B+ technology and / or media company
After you apply, a recruiter may reach out to you for an introductory call.
If your background is a match for the role, you may phone interview with 1-2 people.
If you continue through the process, you will come onsite 1-2 times to interview with a total of 5-10 people.
We're the People Team at Twitter. We Tweet about who we're hiring, what we're doing, and why you should work at Twitter! #LoveWhereYouWork
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!