Engineering Manager, Coordination
The Coordination team provides infrastructure for coordination within distributed systems such as consensus building, leader election, synchronization, and dynamic configuration management and distribution.
Our mission is to provide easy to use distributed coordination and configuration primitives which will help improve reliability of services at Twitter.
We have two main areas of responsibility and ownership:
- Zookeeper : We own and operate the infrastructure that provides flexible distributed consensus primitives. These primitives enable Twitter developers to build reliable and fault tolerant services quickly without needing to understand the complexities of the underlying consensus technologies.
- Dynamic configuration management: We own and operate the infrastructure that manages and publishes configuration to adjust service behavior, traffic routes, user experience experiments and more. The software runs on over 100K physical servers.
What You’ll Do:
You will lead diverse, smart, and driven engineers and align their career ambitions with business requirements and opportunities. We're looking for a leader who can communicate fearlessly to build trust and take an active role in shaping the future of Twitter engineering while embodying our core values. As a Manager for Coordination team you will:
- Manage a portfolio of projects, balancing long-term innovative bets with a regular delivery cadence of customer value
- Enroll customers into co-developing and adopting platform solutions
- Coordinate and align with other teams throughout the company to deliver re-usable solutions and leverage prior work
- Strive for technical excellence and longevity of solutions
- Guide and mentor your team members in their professional and personal development
- Build strong relationships with team members, customers and partners based on trust and mutual respect
- Look ahead to identify opportunities and mitigate risks
- Communicate expectations, feedback and context to team members, partners and stakeholders early and often, succinctly and with class
- Seek diverse perspectives to drive innovation and consensus from all technical partners inside and outside the team.
- Be a source of engineering talent and be comfortable closing candidates.
- Be a strategic leader in the Platform Engineering organization
Who You Are:
You have a passion for distributed systems and improving the ways developers build fault tolerant and scalable systems. You are excited to join an incredibly talented team which loves to take on new challenges. You like a fast-paced & fun environment, believe in Twitter’s mission in the world and want to be a core actor in pushing it forward.
- Knowledge and experience with large scale distributed systems
- Experience in building developer-focused API’s or platforms
- Customer-driven approach to software
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience in mentoring and growing strong engineers
- Large team technical leadership or management experience
- Experience with open source contributions
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
After you apply, a recruiter may reach out to you for an introductory call.
If your background is a match for the role, you may phone interview with 1-2 people.
If you continue through the process, you will come onsite 1-2 times to interview with a total of 5-10 people.
We're the People Team at Twitter. We Tweet about who we're hiring, what we're doing, and why you should work at Twitter! #LoveWhereYouWork
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!