Site Reliability Engineer - Public Cloud Services
Who We Are
SREs work on improving the availability, scalability, performance and reliability of Twitter’s production services.
Twitter is looking for a Site Reliability Engineer to join our Public Cloud SRE team. Our team is dedicated to expanding our infrastructure, automation, and tooling for Public Cloud Infrastructure (e.g. AWS, GCP). We enable our large clusters of servers and the teams that manage them to be built and operated safely, securely, and expertly. The team’s mission is to enhance infrastructure effectiveness and increase efficiency for services that wish to operate on the Public Cloud.
Some examples of recently completed projects on our team include building tools and libraries to automate external DNS, inter-connectivity between on-premise and Public Cloud providers, account syncing, make on-premise tooling and infrastructure look and feel similar to offerings in different environments.
What You'll Do
- You will build automation and tooling in Python and assist teams in their software: systems, design, and services
- You will perform deep dives into partner team's infrastructure to consult and support their augmentation with Public Cloud
- You will consult with teams entrenched in the bare-metal static deployment mindset on the best way to re-architect to best take advantage of Public Cloud offerings
- You will drive standardization efforts across multiple disciplines, systems, software, and practices
- You will develop new software-based solutions to infrastructure engineering problems
Who You Are
- You have an expert understanding of Linux systems and services
- You have advanced practical Public Cloud experience with either AWS or GCP
- You understand and have a strong interest in systems and application design
- You have the knowledge of various aspects of service design: including messaging protocols & behavior, caching strategies and software design practices
- You are familiar with and have practically applied shell scripting and at least one higher-level language to real-world problems
- You are able to prioritize tasks and work independently
- You can adapt and focus on the simplest, most efficient & reliable solutions
- You have excellent written communication, interpersonal communication, and documentation skills
- Advanced knowledge of Python or Ruby to be able to build, write, and support complex services
- Functional knowledge of bootstrapping tools like PXE or cloud-init that enable effective virtual hardware lifecycle management
- Experience with configuration management tools like Puppet, Chef, or Ansible
- High level understanding of TCP/UDP/IP protocols
- Basic understanding of network routing and NAT solutions
Come Join Us
Do you love working with customers to identify problems and proposing solutions to fix them both in the short-term and long-term?
Are you able to hold the standard high for code review and code quality for infrastructure while balancing the need to ship and iterate?
If you like working in an independent environment where you get to define requirements, work directly with other teams, and drive projects from conception to completion and long-term ownership, come join our team.
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Engineering Hiring Process
Once your application is received, a recruiter will reach out pending your qualifications are a match for the role.
If your background is a match, you may have 1-2 technical phone interviews or be given the chance to provide a work sample depending on the role.
If the phone interviews go well or your work sample is strong, the final step includes interviews with 5-6 people held onsite in our office.
We're the People Team at Twitter. We Tweet about who we're hiring, what we're doing, and why you should work at Twitter! #LoveWhereYouWork
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!