Public Policy Associate
Twitter is a world-wide communications platform that is changing how people interact and communicate at home and at work. The Twitter @Policy team focuses on public policy issues posed by the continuing spread of digital technology and web-based communications services around the world. These issues range from freedom of expression, online safety, intellectual property, copyright, privacy, and Internet freedom. The @Policy team also works to showcase the role of Twitter in government and for civic participation through our @TwitterGov work. And we manage and direct Twitter’s corporate social responsibility work in the markets we serve. Our #TwitterforGood efforts involve working directly with NGOs active in the areas of digital inclusion, freedom of expression, online safety and security, women and minorities in tech, and emergency services/disaster recovery.
We’re looking for a paid Public Policy Associate to join the @TwitterGov team in Washington, D.C. to assist with government and elections outreach and events. This is your opportunity to help drive this change, working with government officials, agencies and candidates to identify and champion best practices for using Twitter in civic discourse.
- Provide front-line technical support to government and political users of Twitter, solving problems and escalating to internal support and policy teams as needed. Success measured by overall response and resolution time and user satisfaction.
- Support efforts for planning and execution of multiple government and political events as well as coordination with other teams internally.
- Prepare training and presentation materials, including Keynote presentations, case studies, training handouts, and/or best practice guides.
- Correspond with government and political users to support their use of the platform, and represent Twitter on panels and in group training settings.
- Conduct research into government and political use of Twitter, working with other Twitter team members to identify key metrics and narrative-boosting examples of successful use.
- Contribute creative content for @TwitterGov, @Policy and @nonprofits to showcase best-in-class use cases of Twitter for government, public policy and nonprofits.
- Execute routine management tasks for the Public Policy team, including coordinating internal and external meetings, reviewing and approving requests for support, managing outreach for new features, and maintaining contact lists for key users.
- Be a core member of our Public Policy team for producing events and panel discussions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BA/BS degree
- 3+ years experience in government or politics (preferably at the Press Secretary/Digital Director level).
- You’ll need a keen interest in Twitter and ideally, proficiency with the Twitter service, and experience with content development and management.
- Reasonable fluency in technology and a passion about the power of communications to change the world for the better.
- A knowledge of politics, public policy formulation, high tech issues, as well as an understanding of government processes are important skills for this role.
- The ideal candidate will be highly organised, disciplined, and self-driven.
- Attention to detail, professionalism, and completion of tasks is vital.
- Strong written and oral communications and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of Keynote, PowerPoint, and other presentation programs.
- Additional language fluency skills a plus.
- A sense of humor.
“We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.”
“San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.”
After you apply, a recruiter may reach out to you for an introductory call.
If your background is a match for the role, you may phone interview with 1-2 people.
If you continue through the process, you will come onsite 1-2 times to interview with a total of 5-10 people.
We're the People Team at Twitter. We Tweet about who we're hiring, what we're doing, and why you should work at Twitter! #LoveWhereYouWork
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!