Head of Communications and PR, Japan (Tokyo)
Head of PR & Communications, Twitter Japan
Twitter is an iconic service and global platform for self-expression and live conversation. Twitter is the best place to see what's happening now and to talk about it. Whether it’s breaking news, entertainment, sports, or everyday topics, Twitter lets you connect with people anywhere in the world through real-time conversations around shared interests and live events. Anything that happens, you see it first on Twitter, and a career at Twitter offers many ways to make a positive impact on society and in people’s daily lives.
Twitter is the leading social media platform in Japan today and Japan is a very strategic market for Twitter globally. We are currently seeking a Public Relations (PR) & Communications Head to lead external, employee and policy communications for Twitter in Japan, based in the company’s Tokyo office. The ideal candidate should be an expert storyteller who canable to enhance Twitter’s corporate reputation and leadership position, educate people on why and how they should use Twitter, persuade advertisers and partners to connect with their audience on Twitter, and protect our brand when facing public policy and safety issues.
Ideally, this person should have a successful track record of building inspirational/admired working with consumer and/or Internet online brands, and has proven PR/Communications experience such as developing strategic messaging/content, managing media relations programs, driving creative consumer campaigns, handling crisis situations with good judgment, and increasing employee engagement. And of course, this person must be an avid user of Twitter!
- Work with cross-functional internal stakeholders in Japan and the global communications team to effectively frame our local messaging for multiple Japanese audiences (users, advertisers, partners, government, community and employees)
- Execute global corporate, consumer and business communications campaigns in a locally relevant manner
- Develop high-impact effective storytelling plans and communications materials (e.g. messaging docs, press releases, blog posts, statements, Tweets, bylined articles, infographics)
- Drive proactive media relations and high-profile executive visibility programs to secure coverage in relevant publications that increases active usage of Twitter across Japan
- Manage multiple policy communications issues and a high-volume of incoming queries from Japanese media covering a wide range of consumer, business, product and corporate matters
- Oversee multiple Twitter Japanese blogs and accounts (e.g. Twitter Japan blog, @TwitterJP)
- Be the company spokesperson in Japan and represent Twitter as an industry leader to relevant third party organizations as needed
- Lead a small Japan comms team (2-3 pax) and supervise local PR agency partners to deliver efficient high-impact campaigns with measurable results
- Report to Global VP of Communications based in San Francisco, while being a trusted communications partner for the Japanese management team
- 15+ years experience in consumer and/or technology PR with extensive crisis comms experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Communications, Marketing or related field
- Hands-on agency and/or in-house experience with consumer / online / media company, preferably with a North American/US MNC
- Demonstrated social media expertise, especially love for Twitter
- Strong relationships with mainstream consumer and business media
- In-depth knowledge about free expression, online safety and data privacy issues
- Strong writing, messaging and storytelling skills
- Effective collaboration, project management and planning and team leadership skills
- Flexible, able to work independently, and thrives in a fast-paced start-up environment
- Full fluency in both Japanese and English (Speaking, Reading & Writing). Native level Japanese language and strong English language skills (verbal/written)
- Ability to travel to the US on a regular basis
After you apply, a recruiter may reach out to you for an introductory call.
If your background is a match for the role, you may phone interview with 1-2 people.
If you continue through the process, you will come onsite 1-2 times to interview with a total of 5-10 people.
We're the People Team at Twitter. We Tweet about who we're hiring, what we're doing, and why you should work at Twitter! #LoveWhereYouWork
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!