Data Scientist - Applied Research
Who we are
Twitter has become the infrastructure of the world’s public conversation. Events breaks on twitter, from massive and world-changing to the local data science meetup. Users exchanges and shape their thoughts by forming communities with shared interests.
The Applied Research team thrives to understand, document and explain these phenomenons through rigorous data analysis in order to find disruptive growth opportunities in better serving our users.
We use machine learning, statistical modeling, data mining, time series modeling, and many other analytical techniques on the petabytes of data our users generate every month. We build prototypes and work with the product teams to perform experiments — all applied at the scale of Twitter.
What you’ll Do:
You will work closely with our partners in engineering, product, design and user research on new products, from ideation to experimentation. As such, you will:
- Conduct analyses to learn from our vast amount of data, including exploratory data analysis, investigating A/B test results, observational and network data analysis, etc.
- Apply advanced statistical and machine learning techniques to model user behavior, identify causal impact and attribution, and build benchmark metrics
- Use tools for interacting with large datasets such as Spark, Presto and Scalding
- Use Python or R (or similar) to conduct complex data analyses
- Use data visualization tools (e.g. Tableau or Zeppelin)
- Communicate findings to executives and cross-functional product teams
Who You Are:
- You communicate your findings clearly and empathetically to a wide audience of relevant partners and are capable of building meaningful presentations and analyses that tell a “story”.
- You’re capable of collaborating with our business, engineering, and research colleagues to discover new opportunities that benefit Twitter.
- You have experience in performing analysis on big data sets
- You are passionate about insights, not just data. You’re a strategic thinker and are able to synthesize methodology and data into actionable business and/or product strategy from your analyses.
- You’re a self-starter who takes initiative and is capable of learning on the job.
- You have experience owning complex projects from start to finish.
- You’re excited to learn and apply new data analysis techniques and tools.
- Masters or Ph.D dealing with quantitative analysis or commensurate work experience
- Strong proficiency with at least one programming language such as Python, R, Java, Scala
- Experience using quantitative data analysis to solve problems and answer questions
Engineering Hiring Process
Once your application is received, a recruiter will reach out pending your qualifications are a match for the role.
If your background is a match, you may have 1-2 technical phone interviews or be given the chance to provide a work sample depending on the role.
If the phone interviews go well or your work sample is strong, the final step includes interviews with 5-6 people held onsite in our office.
We're the People Team at Twitter. We Tweet about who we're hiring, what we're doing, and why you should work at Twitter! #LoveWhereYouWork
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!