Senior Software Engineer - Search Infrastructure
Position in San Francisco or Boulder, CO.
Twitter has more than 330 million active users who send hundreds of millions of Tweets per day from all over the world. The Search Infrastructure team builds infrastructure to bring the best content to the forefront. This team owns and operates the indexes behind many of our core products, including the ranked Home timeline, consumer search, trends pages, Highlight, logged-out products, data products (Gnip), curator tools, and spam tools. Our indexes are capable of serving upwards of 120K queries per second while simultaneously indexing up to 80K Tweets per second with an SLA of 99.98% uptime and (for most queries), latencies under 100ms. The team is working on the next generation search & relevance infrastructure that powers new relevanced-based products inside Twitter: starting with the ranked timeline.
What You’ll Do:
As a software engineer on our Search Infrastructure team, the systems you will own and operate help serve many of Twitter’s core products. Your work will directly impact the lives of every Twitter user and the hundreds of millions of people who see our content off network. You will help us develop our next-generation search & relevance infrastructure, allowing Twitter to ship exciting new relevance-based products, while simultaneously improving the quality of our existing infrastructure.
Who You Are:
- You have experience designing, improving and debugging complex, scalable distributed systems
- You are developing information retrieval (search) technology or a have strong desire to become an expert in the domain
- You are interested in working with many engineering teams at Twitter to identify new requirements for our infrastructure to power future products
- Fluency with at least one of the following languages: Java, C++, Scala
- Experience with a higher level scripting language, e.g. Python, Ruby
- Experience operating production software in a UNIX / Linux environment
- BS, MS, or PhD in computer science or a related field, or equivalent work experience
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Engineering Hiring Process
Once your application is received, a recruiter will reach out pending your qualifications are a match for the role.
If your background is a match, you may have 1-2 technical phone interviews or be given the chance to provide a work sample depending on the role.
If the phone interviews go well or your work sample is strong, the final step includes interviews with 5-6 people held onsite in our office.